If you have a budget of £5000 (or nearly $6500) which designer bag would you secure? In this price bracket you expect to see Gucci, Burberry, Tom Ford and of course, Saint Laurent. But when you overlay the SS’19 fashion trends, what bags make the edit? Here are the bags that compare if you have the bigger bucks!
The designer labels
There are well known names in this list of top 10 bags for under £5000. Prada and Fendi never fail to inspire. And at one point nearly half of this top 10 list was taken up by Bottega Veneta (the masters of woven leather). But I’m delighted to welcome Loewe, Valextra and Mark Cross to this top 10 list.
The bag trends of SS’19
All the bags shortlisted are bang on trend for SS’19. But I can seem them being revived again and again because they stand the test of time. Here you’ll see bags with woven structures, embellishments such as fringes, transparent PVC and seasonal colours – the bag trends from the SS’19 catwalks.
The Top 10
Without further ado, here are the big budget fashion bags for this summer:
- From Valentino, how to rock a weave of macaramé on the Go Logo Escape tote bag. £2650 (matchesfashion).
- From Loewe you get two trends in one; a woven bag and fringe benefits! This raffia woven logo leather tote bag is £1995 (Harvey Nichols).
- From Bottega Veneta, the Nodini crossbody bag. This bag was spotted at AW19 fashion shows so you know this bag will see you from this summer’s woven trend straight into winter. £1215 (Selfridges).
- From Jimmy Choo, proving a woven bags doesn’t have to be natural or brightly coloured. The woven metallic Callie shoulder bag is opulent. £1295 (Harrods).
- From Mark Cross, the Benchley rattan and leather shoulder bag combines the woven trend with this season’s accent neutral colour, golden brown or tan. Price £1995 (matchesfashion).
- From Prada, the Manuelle medium shoulder bag is reviving one of the 1990s bag shapes, the baguette, more often associated with Fendi. Prada adds softer touches, with the long curved corners on the Sidney saddle bag. £2355 (Selfridges).
- From Valextra, a bag that offers the colour trend of 1990s neon but as an accent only. The flashes of acid house yellow in this geometric print is subtle enough to keep you on trend. The Iside XY print crossbody bag is £2550 (Browns Fashion).
- From Bienen Davis, take a bit of 1990’s revival into your evenings with this multi coloured and tasseled clutch bag. The removable cover is a reminder of those 1990s nightclubs! Price £2750 (Browns Fashion).
- From Area, the brown Dion studded leather crossbody bag is a classic box shape seen all over the SS19 catwalks. But what I love is the cleve embellishment of lattice leather and studs. Top marks! Price £1385 (Browns Fashion).
- Last but by no means least, from Fendi, the Runway Shopper bag. With Fendi’s clever use of its brand mark, this PVC bag will always look stylish at any beach resort, season after season. £1790 (Browns Fashion).
So if you are looking for a designer handbag and you have a generous budget, I’d highly recommend anyone of these 10 fashion bags for SS’19. Each will last longer than this season so come with added value!
However, if you need more inspiration or have a different budget, take a look at the other SS’19 fashion bag edits:
- Designer bags from the SS’19 catwalks
- Neutral fashion bags for Spring 2019
- SS’19 fashion bags for under £100
- The under £1000 edit of designer bags for this summer