Ladies, florals, dresses and waists are all ‘in’ for the next five months. When purchasing the belt to show off your waist don’t make the mistake of pairing your outfit with the wrong handbag.
The catwalk showed us a variety of dresses pulled in at the waist. And the belts are all about accenting or contrasting with the dress print or colour. The bag needs to work with not just the belt but the whole outfit. Here’s your guide on what to carry when rocking the belted-in outfit.
But firstly, here’s a quick snapshot of some of the belted looks spotted on the catwalk for this Autumn/Fall and Winter season by Vogue:
Thankfully the dos and the don’ts, when choosing the right bag shape and colour, for when belted-in, are few in number:
- Avoid the temptation of throwing over a crossbody bag. Keep to shoulder bags or preferably handbags. Don’t distract from the shape created by a waist-high belt with an another strap crossing at a different angle
- With three great colour trends for the Autumn/Fall and Winter, black belts will be popular. Soft blues, red and pinks will pack a punch if the belt is black. For a black handbag to match, try one that has a colour personality of its own. Consider the Sun Bag Flamma from Mansur Gavriel; the black outer with its eye catching red interior (it has a detachable shoulder strap if you more than one way to carry)
3. If your outfit is a monochramatic affair, employ one of the season’s hot colours and pack the punch from the handbag. Make sure your belt isn’t oversize in width to compete with the bag. There are a growing number of bags in the soft blue and pillar box red. The preview collections are short on bags in pink. However, the Traviata handbag from Launer, handcrafted here in the UK, provides a pink punch
4. If your outfit is full of detail and as a result you have opted for a single colour handbag, add some added drama by choosing a bag with structure and shape. Givenchy’s Pandora is just the job and with the chain strap to add a striking contrast to a tailored suit
5. Finally, for going from the office to evening, you need a clutch that works with your belted-in waist but can carry the day’s essentials. Go oversize and make a statement. A favourite for the cocktail drinks after work, has got to be from Proenza Schouler. It is difficult not to fall in love with this leather clutch. Not just because it has the season’s red colour in the stitching and clasp, but the curved top which makes it easy to clutch
I hope you enjoyed meeting some of the new handbags that are ready and waiting to pair up with your new Autumn/Winter wardrobe. More and more are making their way to the shops. All of the above can be found on the respective designers’ websites or at Liberty on Regent’s Street or Fenwick of Bond Street, London.
Read more on the 8 key trends for Autumn/Fall and Winter 17 fashion trends.
Header image by Ariel Lustre on Unsplash
Reblogged this on Mummy Time Out and commented:
Great insider trend alert for those bag and belt lovers out there. Alas, I can only dream of owning one of these beauties!