There’s nothing like a full day of rain to shift the mindset from summer days to winter nights. Last night I even switched from a glass of prosecco to a full bodied red! So whether we are ready or not, the fashion media are and they are coming at you with the impending season’s trends for Autumn or Fall (for our state-side readers).
Whilst not all the catwalk designs are available to shop in August, you can register, set up alerts or request a mail order. Both Vogue and Elle identified 8 key trends from the designers’ autumn collections whilst Glamour magazine gives you a full A to Z rundown – I kid you not! Here is my concise rundown on the trends and the designer handbag shapes and colours to save you time:
Fashion By Day
- Tailored suiting – look out for the soft but double breasted suit. With this you will need a handbag or shoulder bag to carry your day by essentials. May I introduce to you Louis Vuitton’s, New Handbag MM, currently priced at £3,150 in one of the season’s key colours, soft blue. It is available to order by email – to request a special mail – it isn’t available to order online.
- 1970s revival – ideal for the weekends. Think browns and fabric. Fendi’s handbag KAN 1, a leather and silk combination is priced at £5290 and will fit your daytime weekend essentials comfortably within the inside pockets. It is available to preorder from their site and comes with a strap to wear cross body. This is certain to add a bit of glamour to a retro inspired outfit.
- Long dress will of course be teamed with knee high boots. You may decide to choose a dress in either of the two other colours much talked about for this Autumn; pink or red. So be daring and go for a strong autumn colour to contrast for your handbag; in this case, try the ocre from Mulberry. The trunk bag is big enough for the minimum of essentials; phone, keys, card wallet and lipstick and is available at £895. You will need to set up an alert on site so you know when it is ready to buy.
- Another colour inspired handbag, that seems fitting for the Autumn is green. Bottega Veneta’s Intrecciato Nappa leather top handle handbag in moss colour is priced at £2140. You can reserve the item on their website.
- The chunky winter jacket/coat – some are calling out puffa jackets, other fashionistas say go ‘quilted’. Either way the extra volume means stay away from the tote and shoulder bags in case it all gets a bit bulky at the top of your sleeve. This may be the only time I say buy a backpack. If so add a deep hue one available from Marc Jacobs. His Biker Nylon bag is available at Selfridges for £160 and will keeps the outfit street smart.
Fashion by Night
- For evening wear you should be seeking out the silver hues, dresses that are chain mail inspired. However, if you feel you don’t have the Kate Moss swagger to carry this style off, accessorize accordingly. How about a Stella McCartney clutch, just arrived at Harvey Nichols available at £875.00, with a bold star detail?
- Or if you want to grab a bargain, I’m delighted to report that From St Xavier is now being stocked by John Lewis. You may have read about me encountering the fabulous beading quality from this brand when I searching on the Kings Road and found the brand at Anthropologie. Here is a wonderful example of taking the metallics to the bag which is being sold for £87. Yep, a designer bag under £100.
- Or if you want to keep true to the season’s soft blue trend, and combine with the metallic theme, consider the DiorAddict wallet with a chain so if you don’t fancy the clutch, it can be worn over the shoulder or crossbody. This lambskin soft blue/grey bag is available for £1550.
Fashion by day or by night
- This winter seek out a part of your outfit, for day or night, in a soft leather. The question is do you do a double leather – outfit and handbag? Of course! Take one of the season’s hot colours – red and go textured to contrast with the smoothness of a leather skirt or jacket. How about Lana Marks and her ostrich leather chain bag in red, available at Harrods, for £3990?
So during the week, be it a suit, perhaps in a camel colour, with a soft blue or vibrant red bag; or maybe a long dress with ocre or green accent shoulder bag; by night or at the weekend, a soft fabric bag to match a ’70s inspired flavour or a sheer silver outfit that needs a sparkle, there is much to like about the Autumn/Winter 17 fashion trends. As the collections are still filtering through from the designers, watch this space as more handbags become available.
Credits: Header photo by Autumn Mott on Unsplash