Calling all those investing in a new pair of boots to add to their Autumn/Winter ’17 wardrobe. Long gone are the days of matching what’s on your feet to what you are carrying in your hand. And this is the season to ensure you never match your handbag to your shoes!
The varied styles of boots seen on the catwalk for Autumn/winter 17, in fact Harpers identify 12 footwear trends, means your handbag is going to either rock or ruin your outfit. Below are 6 of the most frequently spotted boot trends; military (Altuzarra), over-the-knee (Celine), slouch (Roksanda), red (Fendi), white (March Jacobs) and sparkle (Saint Laurent).
Don’t ignore 5 key rules when thinking what to pick up/throw over your shoulder:
- Never match your bag with your boots
- It is about complimenting your clothes not your footwear
- When considering your footwear, think contrast
- Take into account texture
- Finally don’t overdo the outfit. If your boots are a fabulous statement, ensure your bag is less demanding of attention
If you are wearing
- knee high or over-the-knee boots – these are best with a shoulder bag
- an ankle boot gives you the licence to go big with the handbag
- if the footwear is highly embellished, just take a dominant colour from the shoe and accent it in the bag
There is one exception to the guide above and it is for this season only and that is if you are going to rock the ‘red alert’ look this Autumn/winter, which means a head to toe red outfit, your bag should be red too. Top tip, keep it small, such as this bargain from Mango.
Military would work with metal embellished bags to bring the theme alive.
A slouch boot needs a soft leather, relaxed handbag. This isn’t the time for a strong and highly structured bag. Something like this soft leather handbag in one of the season’s colours, soft blue from Prada.
If you are going for an over-the-knee boot in black, add the colour in the bag. This mix of textures and colours in one bag is from Hermes which will definitely catch the eye.
Finally, if you are going to brave the white boot, opt for a colour blocked handbag with an accent of white. How about the Sella bag spotted on Tod’s Autumn/Winter runway?
So Ladies, when those boots are being pulled up, please give a second thought to what bag should accompany your heels. This is a bootie call to keep you rocking your well heeled swagger!
For the lowdown on an Autumn/Winter 17 wardrobe, check out the 8 key trends to keep on trend.
Header photo thanks to Saint Laurent and Vogue.
So sick, I love the pairing!
And, I adore Mango!
LikeLiked by 1 person